Sunday, March 18, 2012

Back to the Great Outdoors

Birch Lake - Jewel Basin



This blog is about :
Where I go
What I’ve learned, and
Where and what has been fun in the Great Outdoors.

After thirteen years and five babies, including a set of twins, I returned to the Great Outdoors. As any Mom knows, the Great Outdoors and small children not only don’t always mix but can be an explosive combination. So for thirteen years, between 1977 and 1990, I relinquished the outdoors for mostly indoor, or at least in-the-yard, activities while my five children grew. A friend and I ran and biked together, but rounding up a hoard of five children and a less than enthusiastic husband to head to the creek for fishing just did not work. Listening to children scream about bugs, falling in the water, and slipping on rocks was not the kind of outdoor experience that left me refreshed. Trying to keep youngsters from putting their hands in gopher holes, climbing up precariously stacked boulders, and wandering off was nerve wracking. And then there were rattlesnakes, scat of all kinds, and cows: LARGE cows AND bulls, grazing on National Forest land.

One day I sat in the school parking lot waiting to pick up my school children and longingly studied the mountains forming the back drop of my children’s school. I thought about how lucky I was to live here and wondered how many people would love to live within fifteen minutes of a national forest. I daydreamed about the hikes I took in the hills behind our house when I was growing up, remembering how the rocks, trees, and plants on wild land were beautiful and unique. I missed being in the open spaces. I realized I wasn’t getting any younger, and I didn’t want to postpone living my life waiting to get thinner. I only had one life to live, and I wanted to live much of that life outside. I wanted to have some fun, exercise, and fresh air. I was going back to the Great Outdoors.

The decision to make the effort to have fun in the Great Outdoors is one I've never regretted. I've learned and laughed. I've been terrified, awe-struck, cold, content, stranded, blissful, tired, bug bitten, and overheated. I've made great friends and great memories and hope to make more great memories. So here's to the Great Outdoors!

3 comments:

  1. I am soo excited for your blog Mom! This will be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had so many adventures. I'm looking forward to the retelling, and the chance to relive them!

    ReplyDelete