Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Hiawatha

For a great bike ride, try the Hiawatha Trail.   The trail is about an hour west of Missoula off the I-15 Taft exit.  A fee is charged to use the trail which is the bed of the old Hiawatha Railroad.  The trail contains  historical markers which I found to be fascinating.  The markers tell stories from the devastating 1910 fire to the life of workers in the area in the early 1900s. Some explain railroad construction and markings.  The trail has several tunnels and trestles.  Since I am claustrophobic the first tunnel, which is over a mile long, is a once in a lifetime experience for me. Whenever I ride the trail now, I take the road past the first tunnel and start the ride on the other side.  I preferred the trestles because of the spectacular views. The top of the trail has the best views of the entire ride.

Starting at the top, the ride is downhill all the way into Idaho.  At the bottom, you can catch a shuttle to transport you and your bike back to the top. The first time we went, we spotted a moose browsing in the creek.  I loved it!








No comments:

Post a Comment