Sunday, August 5, 2012

Things to Include in Your Backpack

This Thursday I went hiking with my friend Gail and her granddaughter Ivy.  We decided to hike by some old mines.  While we ambled along,  I asked them what they find useful to carry in their backpacks.

We all thought the usual items such as sunscreen, mosquito repellent, maps, camera, matches, water, etc. were a must.  One of Gail's most useful items was a bandanna.  She uses bandannas in the following ways:

*Dip it in the creek to cool off
*Sling for a sprained limb
*Sweatband
*Covering her nose and mouth if she gets a sudden urge to hold up a stagecoach
*Wrapping something she needs to protect
*Covering for a wound

Ivy mentioned a pencil and paper as one of the things she likes to take. Pencil and paper can be  important on a hike, but hikers seldom remember to include these items in their pack.   I wish  I would have had a pencil and paper to write down all the funny comments Gail and Ivy made in answer to my question.  Pencil and paper are light weight and can be useful in a number of ways:

*Notes about how to get to the trail and the trail itself.
*Notes on wildlife and habitat
*Something to write on if you have to make calculations, such as location
*Leaving a note in an emergency

One of my most useful items to include in a backpack is a zip lock bag.  I have used them in the following ways:

* Keeping my camera dry in case my water bottle leaks
*Lessening wear and tear on my flower books and keeping them together and dry
*Giving the dog a drink when hiking far from water
*Keeping my matches together in the box
*Stopping my toilet paper from rubbing to pieces, and a place to keep used toilet paper (Leave no trace)

Old cabin

Part of an old dam near the mine

Old refridgerator

Gentian

Yarrow

2 comments:

  1. All seem like great ideas. I always try to remember my camera, cuz if I don't bring it I am sure to really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flower pictures: I have to tell you, I dazzled a fair number of people with my flower knowledge last hike, and I gave you ALL the credit. :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete