Monday, May 27, 2013

Where Am I?

If I ever hike without a map, it's because I forgot the darn thing.  I have a GPS which I use constantly.  It gives me the time, elevation, hiking speed, points of interest, the distance traveled, and even the phase of the moon.  But I don't like trying to figure out where I am with the maps on my GPS.

When my husband gave me the GPS, he also bought a tiny something or other that fits in my device that has all the topo maps of Montana. Those maps give me information about many things. Still I need a real map that provides the big picture about where in the world I am.  Maybe I am not the map guru that I ought to be, but trying to make sense of a tiny portion of a map appearing on a small screen isn't very useful to me.

Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, the local Forest Service office, and sporting goods stores all sell National Forest maps. Also, Sporting goods stores often have topographical maps of local areas. On my list of things to take hiking is maps
Preston and I.  Fourwheeling garb - the best outfit to have your picture taken in if you wish to remain anonymous.

Pasque flowers.  We found a huge meadow with millions of wild flowers.

Brad trying to find our position on his GPS, Preston enjoying the sun.
Four wheeling cohorts: Gail, Steve, and Brad

Looking towards Lava Mountain


1 comment:

  1. You guys look great in your four wheeling outfits! Montana is so pretty in the spring! Don't ever move away!

    ReplyDelete