Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Men Fear Us, Elk Love Us


As anyone who loves the outdoors knows, a  risk of outdoor activities is encounters with wildlife.  My friends and I make noise and stay on the trail.  This cuts down on problems.  So far my most worrisome encounter was with an elk.  Yes, an elk.

In June 2006, my daughter Kristy and I decided to take a hike to Horse Thief Park (I would love to know the story behind that name).   We started on Trail 117 near Pole Creek and hiked to the other side of the Elkhorns down into Casey Meadows, Trail 343 where we left a car to drive out.  

After a long, steep climb, we decided to soak our feet in a streamlet near the bottom of the Park.  As we enjoyed  some rest and  lunch, we noticed a cow elk peeking at us over a rise, her ears twitching.  Then, she started for us.  Kristy and I considered three facts:  1) Elk are large. 2) We were unarmed. 3) Elk calve in June.

In a frenzy, we slipped on our boots and hiked as rapidly as my breathing would allow up the steep meadow. The elk followed, although we soon realized her demeanor was more curious than threatening.  Every now and then, I sounded a mini air horn I kept in my pack to intimidate threatening animals. It was the closest thing we had to a defense.   At least, I thought it was a defense. 

After the elk followed us for a ways, my dog decided enough was enough and began barking at her heels.    She ran off.  To speed the elk on her way, I sounded the mini air horn.  She immediately returned to within 50 feet of us and shadowed us all the way up the meadow.  Evidently, instead of being intimidated by mini air horns, elk LIKE them. 

When we reached the top of the meadow, we found a herd of elk which our friendly elk must have been trying to rejoin.  Relieved, we saw her run off with the herd. 

Now I know that if I want a close view of an elk, I should bring my air horn.  With my luck, if I ever run into a bear I’ll find pepper spray is his favorite flavor and he has a penchant for older women.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I had been there! She probably wanted some lunch too. You should've forked over the M & M Peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget it. She even seemed to tilt her head to one side as if wondering, "what's all the fuss about?"

    ReplyDelete