Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Preferences


I’m always entertained by the number of people who profess to love hiking, but refuse to come every time they are invited to hike.  I was at a social function a while back where the guests were asked to tell something about themselves.  I giggled a little to myself when one woman stated that she “loved” to hike.   My hiking partner, Gail, and I have asked this woman to come hiking with us several times. She has refused every invitation with excuses that rival the director of Star Wars for creativity.  If memory serves, this “hiker” said she needed to redecorate her kitchen bulletin board last time we asked her to come hiking with us.  I’ve noticed many others who also say they love to hike, bike, or camp.  Just don’t ever ask them along, because they don’t want to come.

Perhaps this woman is exercising wisdom and discretion.  Possibly, she has heard stories of our hiking adventures and has decided to forgo our company in the name of safety, propriety and decorum, or some other understandable reason.   Still, I can’t shake the feeling that in reality this woman would rather drink poison than venture out into the National Forest for a day hike.

What puzzles me is, why say you like to hike when you don’t?  I’m not a Biblical scholar, but I’m fairly certain that there is no mention of hiking as a requirement for salvation. Different people like different things.  Both Gail and I like to hike, but we also like to do many other things.  Gail is a fabulous knitter, sews purses and quilts.  I also like to quilt, ski, read,  and write.  I happen to hate embroidery.

Discretionary time is time to spend doing the things you like to do.  You should not have to apologize for your likes and dislikes.  Do the things you like to do.

1 comment:

  1. And it is great that we all like different things! How funny of the lady to say she loves hiking! She must like the Idea of hiking! :) Or maybe she likes to tell other people to "go take a hike!" :)

    ReplyDelete