Sunday, August 4, 2013

Yes, I LOVE to Hike

Quite often when I attend a gathering of women, people are asked to introduce themselves.  Several women will usually say, "...and I love to hike."  Well, maybe some of them do.  More often, when my hiking partner and I extend an invitation to hike with us we get some creative excuses:


  • I never hike below 40 degrees.  (This wipes out half the year.)
  • I must stay home and redecorate my bulletin board.  (Not a dedicated hiker here.)
  • I was going to go, but a friend called and wanted me to go shopping instead.  (This person usually calls a half hour before we are going to leave when we delayed our departure time just so she could come.)
  • I was going to come, and then realized I hadn't visited my aunt for a while.  Could we go at noon instead of 8:00 a.m. so I can visit her first?  (No.)
  • I don't have the right gear. (How have you been hiking enough to know you love it without boots, backpack, water bottle etc.?)
Since we live in an area with scads of hiking trails, it seems to be fashionable to "like" hiking.  I've learned that with most women it's all talk.

4 comments:

  1. so true mom! so how do you raise kids to Love hiking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring treats, stop often, and don't go too far when they are little.

      Delete
  2. You know you can count on me anytime we make plans! You're the best hiking partner I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, Kristy! I love hiking with you.

    ReplyDelete